BLENDED AND ONLINE LEARNING
- K12 Inc. Adds More than 110 School District Partners to Recently Introduced Online Homebound Education and Alternative Learning (HEAL) Program
- K–12 Online Learning: A Survey of U.S. School District Administrators .pdf report
Learning Management Systems
- Tips for BYOD k-12 Program
- BYOD white paper (CDWG)
- Why BYOD is a Disaster for Schools – cautions to consider when setting up a program
- BYOD in k-12 Classrooms – A discourse Analysis on the impact of BYOD in Teaching and Student Learning. Offers links to many articles about BYOD in K-12, offers cautions, recommendations for planning program.
iPads for Teaching and Learning
- Comparison of mindmapping Apps for iPad
- NMC Horizon EdTech Weekly App – “The ten hottest EdTech news items each week” ten items each week. Download from iTunes Ap Store
- TechStars, the “#1 startup accelerator in the world”, ran a “microinternship” program in Seattle, which brought high school students into the heart of ten Seattle startups.
- Student RND – organization focused on helping students (HS & college) to work on high tech projects in their spare time and build cool things.
- Lab Equipment Made With 3-D Printers Could Cut Costs by 97% A “new study, conducted in an optical-research lab at Michigan Tech, marked the first known attempt to test the approach [using 3-D printers] for an entire set of lab equipment.”
- For a nice introduction to 3-d printers, see this TED Talk Lisa Harouni: A primer on 3D printing
- k-12 Stem Education Toolkit for MIT Alumni
- MIT+k-12 Making Video to Make a Difference
- MIT k-12 Outreach DUE
- Northeastern University’s RE-SEED (Retirees Enhancing Education through Experiments and Demonstrations) program. “Since 1991 the RE-SEED program at Northeastern University has trained over 700 retired scientists and engineers in fourteen states to assist K-12 science teachers in the classroom.”
- A Science Lab Initiative Fly Through demonstrates some of the Massachusetts School Building Authority’s (MSBA) science lab design requirements and best practices.
- Moms Night Out for STEM (MNOS) – program launched in 2010 by The Iowa Mathematics and Science Education Partnership (IMSEP) and the Iowa State University – College of Engineering to inspire primary caretakers, particularly moms, to get ‘hands on’ with their children’s math and science education.
- EdTech Teacher.org Organization whose “mission is to help teachers and schools leverage technology to create student-centered, inquiry-based learning environments.” Offers keynote presentations, hands-on workshops, online courses, and live webinars for teachers, schools, and school districts.
- Project Tomorrow A national education nonprofit offering publications, programs and links to surveys and papers related to tech use in k-12. Good for background research.
- The Horizon Report, k-12 edition, technologies, trends, and challenges that the advisory board believes will have a major impact on teaching, learning, and creative inquiry in pre-college education over the next five years.
- Mobile Learning: It’s not just about the kids; it’s also about the teachers! The authors – Cathy Norris and Elliot Soloway – were keynote speakers at a Northeastern University event last year. They have lots of interesting ideas about mobile learning.
- Tensions Divide Entrepreneurs and Educators
- Who should lead innovation in education – teachers or entrepreneurs? From the SXSW conference.
- Classroom 2.0 Blog Posts
- Another Way Blog of APS teacher Ben Schersten
- Future of Education Interview Series live (and recorded) interviews with impressive leaders in education
EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY TOOLS